The Australian Democrats want an honest, tolerant and compassionate Australia. Our core beliefs underpin everything we stand for. They determine our every action, objective and policy. They emphasise how the Australian Democrats believe government should operate in a free and democratic Australia and how we will vote in parliament.
We should all be free to live our lives how we want to.
- Freedom is about choice.
- The unjust actions of one should never infringe upon the freedom of another.
- We support the dismantling of unjustified restrictions upon the freedom of Australians.
- Everyone is entitled to be able to make an informed decision, with access to all relevant options and information.
- We stand for balancing competing freedoms and assuring the existence of a distinct private sphere of personal affairs free from interference by government
Every Australian should have equal rights and opportunities.
- Equality should be a fundamental right.
- All Australians should have equal access to quality education, health and legal services
- Our schools, workplaces and communities should be free from discrimination.
- We should, as individuals and together with our community, support all Australians in their quest for equal rights and opportunities.
- Everyone should have equal access to a support network which provides dignity and security in tough times.
We should care for the world around us to sustain our resources, our economy and the well-being of future generations.
- We have the responsibility to ensure our natural environment is restored and maintained for the health of our world and future generations.
- The Australian Democrats do not view the environment and the rest of our world as separate entities.
- The human impact on both built and natural environments should be factored into government planning, including immigration.
- The Democrats support triple bottom line accounting, where the social and environmental impacts are costed and reported into the national accounts – not just the financial.
Our representatives should put the interests of people first, weighing all perspectives to develop fair, inclusive and lasting solutions.
- Members of Parliament are elected to represent you, your opinions, your voice, your community.
- We have enshrined within our constitution the right to a conscience vote on every issue.
- The Australian Democrats work with all sides of politics to achieve fair and inclusive long-term outcomes.
- The Australian Democrats will only work to improve the state of the nation. We will not aim to score political points through grandstanding.
We must take responsibility, individually and collectively, for our nation and its people.
- We owe it to each other and our nation to participate, to contribute and to invest in our future.
- The Australian Democrats asks all Australians to recognise that, in order to ensure the improved and ongoing health of our society, our environment and our economy, everyone must do their part.
- We can help in little ways, by recycling, donating to charity or being friendly and helpful in our everyday lives.
- We can help in larger ways, by volunteering for charitable or environmental groups or ensuring our businesses operate with the principles of the triple bottom line (people, planet, profit).
- Together, we can implement legislation to improve the likelihood of future prosperity.